Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Blog Post #2

 As of right now, it seems as though I am keeping to my original topic of learning about folklores and other stories that are born out of various cultures. However, I believe there has been a slight shift in my topic as I have been opened to exploring the specific lessons folklores teach us, more specifically motives. What are the issues one has with specific people? Is there something that needs an explanation? I found this to be an interesting take on the concept because it almost seems too obvious. When we hear about stories we seems to think about the obvious outcomes, but how much do we truly dive in? I still have not completely let go of wanting to see the comparisons between cultural stories, but there is definitely a door for more. 

When it came for searching, some key words were "la Llorona", "myths", "folklores transcending cultures". While these key words seem to be specific, I have to admit that there were moments where I definitely experienced difficulty looking for information, especially because there seemed to be minimal work of folklores in a scholarly context.

When on YouTube, I was able to find a video from the channel Crash Course that provided some mythology to South America, more specifically, those of the earliest of natives. In the video it was described that Gods flooded the land. This of course I find to be vital information because it gives insights to religion, considering there is a sign of a higher being. https://youtu.be/GrTXHeSHGSE

Later on, I was able to find an article that provided me with some insight in a more modern view. Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic, described Donald Trump's actions towards the separation of kids at the U.S. Mexican Border by comparing him to "La Llorona". I find it interesting because ultimately a figure that so desperately scared children, is ultimately the reality of the children who were caught in today's unfortunate situation. https://bit.ly/3cUA06n



A book titled "The Devil and Commodity Fetishism in South America" by Michael T. Taussig as well seems interesting considering it goes into depth about salves in South America. I have only read fragments, but it seems like a valuable read as I am able to see more of the inhabitants of those lands. Source Provided by: Professor Goeller


1 comment:

  1. I think that film "La Llorona" looks great and I have to watch it. And what is interesting is that La Llorona is WITH the people against the powerful. Using the figure of La Llorona to accuse Trump of taking the children of those seeking asylum is very parallel, in that she becomes a figure used to attack the powerful on behalf of the powerless. I'm very interested in your topic!

    ReplyDelete

Literature Review #5

 Visual: Citation: Joann Furlow Allen. “SEEKING SAFE SISTERS: SANDRA CISNEROS’S USE OF THE SOURCE OF THE MYTH LA LLORONA AS SISTER FIGURE.” ...